Story of Addingham Shops 1

The following table is an attempt to chronicle the changing face of shopping in Addingham. Seeing the small number
of shops in the village now,it may come as a surprise to see how many there were in years gone by but, of course,
in the days before motor transport was readily available even a trip to Ilkley was a major event.

There are still lots of question marks, and this list will never be complete and accurate, but I would like to thank all
those that have given information, including Len Hudson, Andrew Watson, David Harrison, Gloria Stitt and, particularly,
Phyllis Robinson with her remarkable memory. If you can fill in any of the gaps or answer any of the questions
please  contact the webmaster .

Because of the length of this list I have had to divide it over three pages –
this page starts at the top of the village (Silsden Rd) and down to 103 Main Street
Page 2 goes from there down to High Mill Lane
Page 3 goes from High Mill Lane down to Low Mill 

Revised November 2014

Address Business  Name Type of business Dates Notes Photos
Silsden Road – Cringles Drum & Monkey Sweets & Cigarettes Mrs Scott (Jane’s mother in law) (roadside stall)
Silsden Road lower Band ‘Oile Addingham Brass Band 1800 – 1930 Used as band meeting place & store. Now a smallholding.
1 Moor Lane Todds Coal Coal Merchant 1930s Yard at Burnside Mill, Moved to Town Gate
1, Skipton Rd Lister’s Farm Milkman 1930s to 1960s The Listers farmed land now Moor Park Estate. Barn at 2, Skipton Rd opposite q.v. 1920s
Listers Timber/Firewood to present
2, Skipton Rd (Barn) Listers Farm barn Milking parlour to 1960s at least. Alfie Lister milked here until 1960s at least. Now housing.
Haghead (now Highfield Fm.) Skipton Rd. Timothy Brear Chairmaker In 1851 census to 1860 Before his son William moved business to the Sawmill site.
The Green Timothy Roe Besom maker In 1851 census
40, Moor Park Drive David S Croft Roofing contractors In 1972
5 Main St – Townhead Mill Ambrose Dean Cotton spinning, Calico manfr. 1802 to 1820
John Cockroft in 1838
Thos. Beck in 1845 Shown as a sawmill in 1850 (1st Ed. OS map)
W M Watson & Co Ltd Textile Mill 1927 to 1971 Run by W M Watson 1927 till his death in 1932. Then run by W.Lambert. Burnt down 1971 1950s
Townhead Trading Estate Palladium Home Furnishing Carpets and flooring to 2000?
Ash Furniture Hire Event furniture hire in 1997
Steve Mann Caravan servicing to 2008? Moved to Ilkley
Premier Car Valeting Car valeting
Planet Earth Tiles & flooring  2000? to present 2003
Andrew Green Car servicing 1990s to present
Limekiln Furniture Wooden furniture makers 2009 to present
6 Main St The Craven Heifer Public House Early 1800s William Bramley
In 1851 census John Stirk 1900s
In 1909 J J Walker
1940s Walker family
? Harold Johnson 1950s
In 1972 Sandy & Kathleen Gunn
2012 to present Craig Minto (also runs The Fleece) 2010
8 Main Street Top Smithy Blacksmith
18? Main St Shackleton’s Grocery & General Store 1930s to 1950s End of row of cottages
Alan Thompson                    ditto Late 1950s to 1960s
M Roe Greengrocer 1960s For a short while before demolished (site now grass in front of bungalows)
23 Main St Henry Gill Draper In 1909 Craven Household Almanac 1909
30 or 32 Main St Residence of John Beck Master Builder In 1851 census Location of business unknown. Employed 20 men & 3 apprentices – probably biggest builder in Addingham at time.
36 Main St Sidney ‘Cloggy’ Steel Clog Maker, Shoe Repairs 1920s? Moved to 71 Main St 1910s
Peter Barton Guitars Instrument maker 2000? to present Moved from 2, Bolton Rd
Salt Pie (behind 38 Main St) Henry Prior Clock & watch repaireer In 1851 census Relative of George Prior, clockmaker of Nesfield & Leeds
40 – 42 Main St James Cockshott Master Draper In 1851 census No.40 was his residence but it connected internally with workrooms in No.42
Caravan Houses (in front of 43 Main St) Mary Demain Bread Baker In 1851 census Bread Baker’ distinguishes her from oatcake bakers.
43 Main St –  Ivy Farm Ivy Farm Farm To 1950s Farmed by Freddie Blaythorne, who at one time worked at the Sawmill.
45 Main St The (Jolly) Sailor Public House In 1851 census Sarah Hartley
Before 1838 to 2013 Eddie Baker 1940s? 1960s
The Fuggle Public House 2014 to present
44 Main St (High Bank House) Dr Wynn Doctor’s Surgery 1950? to 1978
Dr Raubitschek Doctor’s Surgery 1978 to c.1980
46 Main St (High Bank Barn) Arthur (?) Flint Joinery in 1956 Mrs. Sue Preston’s father (lived top of Moor Lane)
Parry Adhesives Ltd Adhesives 1990s? to 2007? 2005
Around 47 – 51 Main St John & Joseph Gill Cloggers In 1851 census
John Boyd Chimney Sweep
Robert Watkinson Coal Dealer
48a Main St Miss Bye Sweets & Tobacco Closed 1930s Bottom of row.
48 Main St David Laxton & Alan Wright Dental Surgeons 1990? to 1996?
S R Hick Dental Surgeon 1996? to present 2006
54 Main St (Daisy Hill) Barn Bye’s Basket & Mat Maker to 1960s
61 Main St Steels Farmhouse Farm From 1800s to 1950s Farmed land which is now Green Lane, Burns Hill
Joseph Steel Public Telephone call office In 1909 Craven Household Almanac 1909
Steels Coaches (Jack Steel) Coaches & Travel 1940s to present Had garage on School Lane in front of Wharfedale View in mid 1950s. Garage now at Steeton. 2008
69 Main St Harry Stirk Wireless relay, accumulator charging Charging in barn behind shop. Or was he at 61?
70/72 Main St ‘Tinny’ Whittaker Ironmonger – parafin, gas mantles, screws, nails, black lead,possers & scrubbing boards for washing. 1930s to 1950s/60s Workshop behind Sailor (Well House). Owned by Mr Dewhirst
Teddy Lawson Plumber 1960s?
Cebar Lace
Addingham Antiques Antiques shop Before 1971 to 1996 1971
The Precision Plastic Ball Co. Plastic balls for engineering & technical applications.  1996? to present
71 Main St Sidney ‘Cloggy’ Steel Clog maker, Shoe repairs 1930s to 1960s Moved from 36 Main St. (his home)
The Corner Cuboard Prints , paintings, antique furniture, Brass, Copper, Oil lamps,Silver & plate, Old & new fittings etc. 1960s to 1970s
Gallery Imprint Prints 1970s? Then housing. 1960s
TP Books Children’s books 2004 to present 2003
74 Main St Holmes 1920s
Bayliss Bakers & Confectioners, Taxi, bookmaker 1940s Lived above & behind shop
Addingham Antiques Antique shop Before 1971 to 1996? With 70 & 72 Main St. 1971
Clayfield Pharmacy Pharmacy To 2010 Moved to 151b Main St (beside Medical Centre) 2004
Locks of Love Hair extensions etc. Oct. 2014 to Present
Wolsley Shed, Main St Bolton, Emmot & Cockroft Mill Textile mill 1802 to 1953 Later owned by Walton. Demolished 1980s 1970s
Cisterns Ltd. Plastic Baths 1968 Part of Cisterns Ltd at Barcroft Shed.  See below.
Todds Coal Coal Merchant 1930s Sailor end’ – access from Sailor Pub.Office at 1 Moor Lane, moved yard to Townend
Cockshott Fold (at entrance to Burnside Mill) Elizabeth Whitaker Dressmaker In 1851 census
James Dean Master Tailor
Burnside Mill, Main St Listers Burnside Mill Textiles, Silk mill 1802 to 1950s Machinery moved to other mill at Barrow in Furness. Mill transport driver J Robinson (D Robinson from 1956) 1960s
Manor Barn Pine Pine furniture 1950s to 2000 Moved to Skipton – now housing. 1990s
76 Main St Stapleton’s Fish & Chips Up to 1960s
The Bakery Bakery From 1979 Anne & Ciaran Wyer (short period only). Converted to house.
Sir George Martin Trust Charity Office 1960s to 2012 Converted to housing 2013 2003
76 or 78 Main St Thomas Wharton & Robert Towson Butchers In 1851 census
77 Main St H(Arthur?) Holmes Painter & Decorator Mrs Donald Smith’s parents. Demolished 1960s?
78 Main St Lizzy Roe Greengrocer to late1930s In front of house.Elephant got stuck in doorway (ref. Kate Mason) . 1910
Gertie Rowe (Roe?) Greengrocer 1940s Now demolished
78 or 82 Main St James Lister Carrier In 1851 census
82 Main St W Lister Grocers & Provender Merchants 1910
C G Whitham Grocer In 1909 Craven Household Almanac 1909
W Whitham & Sons (Herbert) Grocers & Provender Merchants 1930s to 1960s (early to mid) See also 113 Main St
The Fabric Shop Fabric sales 1960s to 2006 Phillip  H Crabtree (mother was Mrs Whitham) Formally at Upper Gatecroft Farm. 2003
Tank Boutique Boutique clothes 2007 to 2008 (Closed) Business moved from 150 Main St. 2008
Main Boutique Boutique clothes 2009 to 2012 Moved to 146 Main St
Bo & Birdy Lifestyle 2013 to 2014 Closed down
Main Womenswear Clothing, Jewelery, Bags, Scarves 2014 to present Moved from 146 Main St (see above)
2 Chapel St News Office? Newspaper office (Addingham Iris??) Faint wording over doorway 2002
W Whitham & Sons Greengrocer 1950s Brother of 82 Main St business. Moved to 113 Main St
The Fabric Shop Fabric sales 1960s to 2006 Part of 82 Main St business 2003
Geraldine Thompson Studio Art studio 2012 to present
Chapel St Loomshop Loomshop
Clogger Called ‘Cloggers’ steps’ (Kate Mason)
Fabric Shop Storeroom to 2006 See 82 Main St. Converted to housing. 2002
Top of Chapel St on left Cockshotts Slaughterhouse See 97 Main St.
10 Chapel St (corner of Riddings Lane) Isabella Breare (widow of Samuel Breare, carrying on his business) Brick & Tile manufacturer employing 7 labourers In 1851 census Residence only; Brickyard probably in fields on road to Silsden.
Riddings Farm David F Wilkinson Dairyman In 1972 Farm bottled milk, Cream, Eggs etc.
Ghyll-Rise, 25 School Lane Rodney Doyle Dairyman In 1972 Fresh double cream, farm bottled milk from Brucellosis free herd, fresh farm eggs.
School Lane Brown & Blight Builders & Plumbers In 1972
Burns Hill Duncan K Hall Dairyman 1990s to present Also semi professional singer.
84, Main St Mrs.England & son Sam General Store & off licence 1800 to 1950s Sam delivered with home-made box cart. Sweets e.g.Kaylie/sherbert & Spanish Licorice.
J S & J Grayson Grocer & Off License, Findus Frozen foods, Ice cream In 1972 Orders delivered
The Corner Shop General Store & off licence In 1979 C & L D Bass
The Corner Shop General Store & off licence to 1996? Converted to housing 1991
86 Main St (before present building erected) John Cockshott Textile warehouse In 1820
86 Main St Halifax Joint Stock Banking Bank In 1909 Craven Household Almanac 1909
Lloyds Bank Bank 1930s to 1971 Converted to housing 1971
87 Main St Thomas Benson & family Grocers In 1891 census Thomas, son Abraham & his wife Martha, Benson plus at least one daughter. Martha was William Brear’s eldest child (see Sawmill). By 1901 census family had moved to Blackpool.
88 Main St Pearce Bros. Electrical engineers & contractors 1960s to 1970s Front room of house – few years only. 1971
93 Main St Alexica Translation services 1990s to present
94 Main St Chrissy Horsman Ladies hairdresser 1930s to 1940s Front room of house. Moved to 105 Main St
96 Main St ? Grocer & Laundry Receiving off. From 1900s In 1917 (photo) c.1910
Hall Grocer 1940s?
Mr & Mrs Mills Grocer & General Store 1930s
Bert (Ted?) & MrsTaylor Grocer & General Store 1940s to 1970s Son Ernest was burnt in air crash (only survivor)
Dean’s? Grocery & general store
Carr 1970s
Gill Anthony Interiors Soft furnishings & art gallery 1995? to 2000 Converted to housing 1997
Lovebirds Bridal Bridal wear Oct. 2014 to present
97 Main St Piece Hall (Cockshot) Textile & Wool sales (after Fleece) 1820s to 1838? Doubt expressed by Arnold Pacey. Might have been grocer’s from start. 1971
James Hudson Grocer & corn dealer 1838? to after 1851
John Cockshott & Son (Eric & Tom) Butcher 1930s to late 1950s The ‘poor man’s butcher’!  Slaughter house in Chapel St. 1950s
Terry Smith High Class Beef & Pork Butcher 1960s to 1980s
A C Burns Family Butcher in 1996 Converted to housing 1996
98 Main St Lily Harrison (followed her father) Haberdashery/Draper 1930s to 1960 Materials (gents worsted & tailoring materials etc) Sold rolls of lino (1940s), Hair ribbons (red white & blue for victory.
La Donna/Cutting Line Ladies hairdresser 1960s to present Re-named c.2007 P
99 Main St (below steps) Miss Curwin Sweets, crisps, pop, biscuits etc. 1930s to late ’40s/early ’50s Miss Curwin lived there 1930 to 1950s.
Pearce Electrics Lock up store 1950s to ? Now house with large window
100 Main St Arthur Roe’s Papershop Newsagents, sweets & toys 1930s to late 1950s Sunny Stories, School Friend, Girl, Eagle & Children’s Newspaper in 1940s 1910s?
Beans Newsagents 1960 to 1970
Harry Roe Newsagents 1970 to 1979 Arthur Roe’s son
Rawsthorne Newsagents Newsagents etc. in 1979
Addingham Newsagency Newsagents to 1997 Sue & Bill Preston 1996
Addingham Newsagency Newsagents Colin & Simon Wilson 2004
Addingham Newsagency Newsagents to 2006 Burnt out 2006 2006
Addingham Newsagents Newsagents 2009 – present Mark Preston 2009
101 Main St Mrs Ivy Musson Milliner 1930s to early ’40s Now house
102 Main St G Whittaker Boots & Shoes to late 1950 Mr Whitaker had hens & gave children eggs for tea. Combined with 104 Main St. c.1950
104 Main St Harry Stirk Household , Kitchen goods, Wirelesses, TVs, Bicycles (all sizes), Toys (inc. Dinky Toys) from late 1930s – 1950s Combined with 102 Main St c.1950
102/4 Main St P Street Chemist 1950s to 1970
D Spinks Chemist & Vet. Supplis in 1970s 1970s
Staffords Antiques General antiques & used furniture In 1977-9 And at Haworth
Village Antiques Antique Shop in March 1983
Andrew Hird Insurance Broker to present 2009
103 Main St – School Bridge House William Lister Registrar (postmaster?). Farmed 400 acres. In 1851 census
Thomas Lister Retired tallow chandler In 1851 census
Miss S M Lister Post Office & Telegraph Office In 1909 Craven Household Almanac 1909
Lister Tallow chandler, Post Office, Registrar, Carrier. Pre 1914 to 1930s Wife was schoolteacher in Old School (Girls) c.1914
Miss Alice Dinsdale Bakers & Confectioner large jam pastries & cakes in window) If your face didn’t fit she wouldn’t serve you!’ Married Jack Dixon’s father. Lived to 101 (in 2000)
G F Riley Baker & Confectioner in  1950s to 1973+ Wedding  & Birthday cakes 1973
The Bakery Baker To 1979 Moved to 76, Main St. qv
Dr Raubitschek Doctor’s Surgery c.1980 to 2006 2004
Dr Suleman Doctor’s Surgery 2006 to 2009 Moved to Medical Centre, Memorial Close

Go to Page 2
Go to Page 3